Monday, 11 May 2015

CE-My Family Readings

Story 1
This is an excerpt of a letter from P. Doraisamy, a retired teacher, to his grandchildren.


Vathsalaa,
Do you remember when you were about eight years old, and I had just been discharged from hospital after a spinal surgery? Your mother had given you strict orders not to disturb grandpa so that he could have some rest and sleep. But then you had to personally reassure yourself that he was going to be fine. So you crept into my room, and thinking that I was sound asleep, you traced my bandaged wound with your soft tiny fingers. You stroked it lightly to ease my pain. I did not exactly know what thoughts were going on in your mind. But at that moment, I was deeply touched by your care and concern. I felt a warm glow of love engulf me. I felt so blessed to have you as my grandchild. Perhaps, no medicine could have eased my pain or comforted me as effectively as your loving touch. How wonderful it would be, I wondered then, if your compassionate heart would continue to grow and let you find joy and fulfilment in stroking away the pain from those who need to be touched with love and kindness.


Story 2
This is an excerpt of a letter from Mdm Goh Geok Eng, a retired school principal, to her granddaughter.


So what would I wish for you, my little granddaughter, as you grow up?
I wish for you wisdom and discernment (ability to make good judgement) – to make wise choices in life and to be able to discern what is important in allocating what to do with your time.
I wish for you the 3 Fs – a strong faith, cohesive family and staunch friends (loyal with good values). These will provide a strong foundation for you to weather the storms of life.
I wish for you to be content with your lot (what you have) but always striving to do better.
Lastly, I wish for you to leave the world a better place than you found it. We have not done too well with the environment, keeping crime and violence in check, even with bringing up our children! But I pray that you will touch lives, be the example and be a blessing to many.


Story 3
This is an excerpt of a letter from Asmah Laili, a retired broadcaster, to her eldest grandchild.


As the eldest, whether we come from a rich or poor family, we learn to be the “head of the family”. This means our responsibilities become heavier as we have younger siblings who need attention. We should be the best example to our siblings. We are like a “hero” and they will emulate whatever you do. If we like to shout, they too will do the same.
When they see our success, surely they will want to follow in our footsteps. I feel that if you share the secret behind your success, it would be swell! I know that you are diligent and you must encourage Hafez and Sofea to be likewise and hand in their homework on time.

I am convinced that this sharing attitude will bring us closer to each other and most importantly, will make us tolerant, good-hearted, generous and helpful human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment