Aricak, T., S. Siyahhan, A. Uzunhasanoglu, S. Saribeyoglu, S. Ciplak, N. Yilmaz and C. Memmedov
- Year of Publication: 2008
- Title: Cyberbullying among Turkish Adolescents (this article is published in Cyberpsychology & Behavior Journal Volume 11, Number 3, 2008)
- Publisher: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
- Brief summary:
This study surveyed 269 secondary school Turkish students on their engagement in cyberbullying and coping strategies for cyberbullying. The after school survey, called the Questionnaire of Cyberbullying (QoCB), was developed by the researchers. It was administered to 134 boys and 135 girls between 6th and 10th grade from four different schools in Istanbul.
It was found that 35.7% of the students displayed bully behaviors, 23.8% of the students displayed bully-victim behaviors and only 5.9% of the students were victim behaviors. The study found a positive relationship between the frequency of Internet use and certain forms of cyberbullying (i.e. sending infected emails and saying things online that would not be said face-to-face). It also found more male cyberbullies than girls. As for coping strategies, 25% of the students reported telling their peers and parents about the cyberbullying incident, and 30.6% of the students reported finding active solutions such as blocking the harasser. The research findings are aligned with other studies conducted on cyberbullying in United States and Canada.
- Key point 1 (page ref.: 258) – Cyber bullying is an issue not only of a person’s security online but also of his or her virtual and/or immediate social relations;
- Key point 2 (page ref.: 258) – The ability to anonymously interact on the Inter-net contributes to a lower self-awareness in individuals and may lead them to react impulsively and aggressively to other individuals online;
- Key point 3 (page ref.: 258) – As students spent more time on the Internet, they were more likely to send infected e-mails and say things online that would not be said face to face.
- Key point 4 (page ref.: 258) – The more frequent the use of internet, the less students think of getting caught for cyberbullying.
- Good quotations to use (page ref.: 259): “Cyberbullying is a global phenomenon that must be addressed by international research. In addition, cyberbullying is a multifaceted problem that requires further study and additional measures to determine how to prevent it.”
1. There will be SPM (School-Parent Meeting) on the Thursday, 21 May 2015. It is only by appointment only.
2. The Annual Track and Field meet will be held on the Friday, 22 May 2015 from 7.30 pm to 12.30 pm. Support your house with pride and all the best for all those who are participating in the track and relay events. :) - Refer to the Student Googlesite for more information
Homework for the day
1. " How was your role as an advocate help in the relantionship in the community" question. Answers to be written in the LangLit Reflection Journal (due after the June holidays)
1. SDL (03) Basic Geometry Assignement (due after the June holidays)
2. SDL-03: Basic Geometry (due after the June holidays)
3. Maths AA (create an eco-house) Refer to the student googlesite for more information on the AA
Higher Chinese Language
1. HCL AA
Higher Malay/Malay Language
1. Bio mindmaps on every topic (due after the June holidays)
1. Physics AA (to create a catapult)
3. Integrated Humanities (IH)
Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E)
1. To design a device for the cookie jar challenge over the holidays (refer to Edmodo for furthur
Art, Design, Media and Technology (ADMT)
Information, Communication and Technology (ICT)
1. Create apps in the MIT app inventor (if you have not done so)
All the above are the homework given for today. Please comment below if I had missed out anything or any errors I have made. Thank you
Dear all Some of you have asked about the time table for tomorrow. Please note that tomorrow will run on your normal Tuesday time table, which means that your last lesson will end at 2:50pm. If you have any trainings or meetings, please inform your subject teacher accordingly. Thank you. Ms Wong
The image below are all the homework given today. I apologise if this is posted very late and if the HCL and CL homework are not posted. Please comment below if I had missed out anything (especially HCL and CL)
This is an excerpt of a letter from P. Doraisamy, a retired teacher, to his grandchildren.
Do you remember when you were about eight years old, and I had just been discharged from hospital after a spinal surgery? Your mother had given you strict orders not to disturb grandpa so that he could have some rest and sleep. But then you had to personally reassure yourself that he was going to be fine. So you crept into my room, and thinking that I was sound asleep, you traced my bandaged wound with your soft tiny fingers. You stroked it lightly to ease my pain. I did not exactly know what thoughts were going on in your mind. But at that moment, I was deeply touched by your care and concern. I felt a warm glow of love engulf me. I felt so blessed to have you as my grandchild. Perhaps, no medicine could have eased my pain or comforted me as effectively as your loving touch. How wonderful it would be, I wondered then, if your compassionate heart would continue to grow and let you find joy and fulfilment in stroking away the pain from those who need to be touched with love and kindness.
This is an excerpt of a letter from Mdm Goh Geok Eng, a retired school principal, to her granddaughter.
So what would I wish for you, my little granddaughter, as you grow up?
I wish for you wisdom and discernment (ability to make good judgement) – to make wise choices in life and to be able to discern what is important in allocating what to do with your time.
I wish for you the 3 Fs – a strong faith, cohesive family and staunch friends (loyal with good values). These will provide a strong foundation for you to weather the storms of life.
I wish for you to be content with your lot (what you have) but always striving to do better.
Lastly, I wish for you to leave the world a better place than you found it. We have not done too well with the environment, keeping crime and violence in check, even with bringing up our children! But I pray that you will touch lives, be the example and be a blessing to many.
This is an excerpt of a letter from Asmah Laili, a retired broadcaster, to her eldest grandchild.
As the eldest, whether we come from a rich or poor family, we learn to be the “head of the family”. This means our responsibilities become heavier as we have younger siblings who need attention. We should be the best example to our siblings. We are like a “hero” and they will emulate whatever you do. If we like to shout, they too will do the same.
When they see our success, surely they will want to follow in our footsteps. I feel that if you share the secret behind your success, it would be swell! I know that you are diligent and you must encourage Hafez and Sofea to be likewise and hand in their homework on time.
I am convinced that this sharing attitude will bring us closer to each other and most importantly, will make us tolerant, good-hearted, generous and helpful human beings.
1. 2013 S1 CT Mathematics WS (Next Monday)
1. Lampiran pemahaman (hantar hari isnin depan)
2. Log bacaan (hantar hari isnin depan)
3. Kertas 1 dan 2 latihan common test (utk kertas 2, pemahaman harus dibuat) - hantar hari Isnin depan
1. (Chemistry) Acid & Bases Revision (Next Thursday)
1. 2014 S1 CT Mathematics WS (Tuesday)
2. (Email) Fill in survey form (Tuesday)
1. 电邮练习（Ms Wong will email you the information)
2. 练习三 (Paper)
1. 练习一，二，三 病句
1. Eyewitness report on littering (Thursday)
1. Stack of revision papers (End of this week)
2. 5 Linear equations: Solving word problems... (Wednesday)
3. Linear Inequalities pg 3 and 4 (Wednesday)
1. 修改病句练习 (Wednesday)
1. Health Science Common Test Paper (Wednesday)
2. ECM Revision (Chemistry) (Wednesday)
1. 2 inferences, 1 purpose (Document shared) CREDITS TO THE HW.PACK
16 Habits Of Mind - Persisting Usually if I do not know how to do a question even after seeking help, I would usually give up by then. But, if I could rewind, I would try to persist on and understand that question fully.
When we were still doing the ADMT project, my team at first could not think of anything to make a product,because we thought our theme had nothing to make a product about, and that we should change the theme that we were doing.
in the end,we made a product but we regretted not thinking more flexibly when we were making the product.
if i could turn back in time I would think more flexibly like the other people who had the same theme but made better products.
Habits Of Mind- Listening With Empathy and Understanding
My friend always try to tell me something but I just kept ignoring her. I should have listened to her and helped her if it was a difficulty. If I it happened again, I should have gave her a listening ear.
CCE habits of mind Habit I choose: Managing impulsivity
There was a time where one of my classmate teased me about my English marks being lower than his. I got really angry and I made fun of him and talked bad about him to other classmates. In the end he got really upset and cried.
If I were to turn back time, I would have just ignored his remarks and not gang up on him.
a,Managing Implusvity b. My dad was scolding me over trival matters. I wanted to rebuked,shouting with vuglars and said very hurting words. After that incident, our relationship soured and didnt get better.
c.I would have not said those vuglars but would have rebuked in a nicer way.
I am personally a very stubborn person, and I only follow the way that I believe will work. While doing a group work with my other classmates from Primary School, I wanted others to follow the way I think would work. However when they had other ideas, I rejected all the ideas and suggestions from them. Now that I think back, I felt very bad about my attitude to others. I thought in a way where no one could change my mindset and I was not thinking flexibly enough.
If I could turn back time, I would want to be more flexible in the way I think. I want to be to accept the inputs and suggestions from others so that we could work better as a group.
1) Managing impulsivity.
2)When I was in primary school. I did not think before I act. I took my friend's pencil case and hid it behind the classroom. My friend then got worried and he complained to teacher that someone took his pencil's case. In the end, the teacher found it was me. I regretted my actions.
3) I should have think before I act. I should reconsider my actions before doing it.